So you’re looking for a pocket size drone you can slip in your pocket and forget about until that picture perfect moment or opportunity for a selfie moment arises.
The problem is that most drones that are small enough to fit inside your product have absolutely terrible cameras. The sad part is most of them are even marketed as selfie drones, suggesting they are great for taking photos.
Trust me, the vast majority of these drones have very cheap cameras (0.3 megapixel) that will do nothing but disappoint you.
There are some good ones out there, but you have to do a lot of digging to find them. The good news is I spent a lot of time to compile a list of only the best ones below! As with most tech products, you typically get what you pay for.
When buying a drone I recommend utilizing the “buy once cry once mentality.” That said, I know some of you are on a tight budget, so I will try to list drones at different price ranges.
Quick Navigation: What's in This Guide?
- Here Are the Best Pocket Drones of 2019
Here Are the Best Pocket Drones of 2019
1. GoolRC T37 Mini Foldable Drone (Cheapest)
I searched the entire internet, and honestly, the GoolRC T37 is the cheapest pocket drone out there that is worth buying. It’s an upgraded version of a very popular standard T37 version. I don’t want to lie to you, the camera still isn’t great. It’s only 720p, but I mean you can expect full HD video quality from a drone that costs less than $50.
The T37 can easily be controlled right from your smartphone, so you won’t have to worry about carrying a bulky separate controller on you. With a drone at this price point don’t expect a long flight time. The T37 mini can only fly for about 7 minutes, so make sure your other party members are ready to shoot a photo before you get it up in the air!
2. ZEROTECH Dobby (Best Value)
The Zerotech Dobby isn’t cheap, but considering the specs of this drone, it’s an absolute steal! With its 13 million pixels, 4k image acquisition, and 1080P high definition stabilizer, you’ll be able to stream crystal clear video and images.
It only weighs 7 ounces and has foldable propeller arms, allowing this drone to easily and comfortably fit in your pocket. Another thing that sets this drone apart from some of the cheaper ones on this list is its ability to take 360 photos and videos.
It also has facial recognition, target tracking, and 10 second automatic follow feature. Dimensions with propellers expanded are 135mm x 67mm x 36.8 mm.
The 4k Camera (1080p After Stabilization)
The Dobby Mini Drone shoots 13-megapixel photos and 4k video. It has a 75-degree field of view with a 28mm f2.2 lens. The camera angle can be adjusted to 6 different positions by hand. The 4k camera shoots video at 30fps, which is pretty impressive for a drone at this price point. Since it has no gimbal, it uses electronic image stabilization, resulting in 1080p video at 30fps.
The Dobby can easily be controlled with your smartphone using the free Dobby App, which is a free download. It can also be controlled with Andrioid phones 4.3 and above, or IOS 8.0 and above.
- Short Video Mode: Point the camera on your target and push the record button. The Dobby will fly up and away for 10 seconds, then come back to you when it’s done.
- Timer Shots: Set the amount of time you want the Dobby to record for. Options are 3s/5s/10s/20s
- Voice Commands: Easily control the quadcopter with commands like
- “Fly Up” Dobby will automatically take off
- “Get Down” Dobby will automatically land
- “Cheers” Dobby will take a photo
- “Dobby Go” Activates Palm Takeoff
- “Dobby Back” Activates Palm Landing
- Face and Target Tracking Click on the screen on the object or person you want the dobby to lock on to. A red frame will pop up, cover the target with the red frame, then tape the “start tracking” button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. The red frame will turn to green, letting you know that you have correctly enabled target tracking mode.
- Return to Home: This feature only works outdoors with GPS positioning enabled. Select the more features on the bottom left of your screen, then press the return to home icon in the popup features list. Dobby will return to the position of takeoff.
- Somersault: Select more features on the bottom left hand corner of the main interface. Then select more features on the bottom left, and select somersault.
Other Cool Features
- This drone easily connects to your smartphone and has a great App (Do.Fun) that is free to download.
- The 970 mAh LiPo battery on the ZeroTech dobby has led indicators on the batteries, allowing you to know how much battery life is remaining.
- Charging the batteries from 20 percent to 100 takes about 1 hour.
- Easily download and share videos/Images with friends and family easily through WiFi.
- It is so small and compact that can easily fit into your pocket, and weighs about the same amount as an iPhone.
- Recognizes voice commands
- Weighs 199g (no FFA registration required)
- GLONASS dual band positioning system
- 2 sensors, optical flow and ultrasonic
- 100-meter range
- 16GB storage
- Limited flight time (9 minutes)
- Lands in place if the signal is lost
- Wind can affect image stabilization
- No gimbal to stabilize the camera
- Batteries cost about 90 dollars each
- No joystick controller
3. Eachine E56 Selfie Drone
The E56 is very similar to the T37 Mini listed above. It also shoots 720p video. It has an adjustable camera, so you can get shots from different angles. It does have some cool features, including a foldable structure design and altitude hold.
A lot of cheap pocket drones have a very hard time holding their position and hovering. This makes it very difficult to take a clear selfie. With the E56 you won’t have that problem because it’s equipped with an advanced barometer positioning system, which results in better image quality.
With an estimated flight time of 8-15 minutes and a remote control distance of 40 meters this is one of the best selfie drones for the money.
- 0.241 kg
- 13.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 cm
- 8-15 Minute Flight Time
- 40 Meter Control Range
- 2MP Still Photos
- 720p Video
4. Yuneec Breeze
The Yuneec Breeze 4k has a TON of notable features. To get a drone that shoots 4k video with intelligent flight modes under 500 dollars is amazing. The camera on the breeze selfie drone shoots Ultra High Definition (UHD) 4k video and takes 13 megapixel still images. It comes standard with five easy to use flight modes including, selfie, pilot, orbit, journey, and follow (read more about each below). Its built-in positioning system makes flying the breeze 4k indoors a breeze. This is a great quadcopter for someone just looking to capture life events and adventures in any setting. The Breeze App is a free download, allowing you to instantly share your best photos and videos with family and friends. This drones compact design and lightweight (less than 1 pound) makes it super portable, and great for traveling. This article provides an in-depth Yuneec breeze 4k quadcopter review.
The 4k Camera (1080p After Stabilization)
The camera on the Yuneec Breeze is located on the front of the drone. It provides a 117-degree field of view (110 with FPV goggles). The angle of the camera is adjustable using the Yuneec App. The flight modes on the Yuneec breeze make it one of the best selfie drones out there. It’s so easy to get stunning images and videos to share with your friends and family. The breeze shoots 4k unstabilized video, digitally stabilized 1080p (30 fps), and digitally stabilized 720p (60 fps).
The Controller and Head Mount
This drone was designed to be controlled using a smartphone or tablet. The Yuneec app is user-friendly and makes it easy to control the flight modes and camera angle in flight. You can buy the FPV controller and head mount separately or in a bundle package. The controller almost looks like an Xbox controller and is very comfortable.
It comes with 2 3s batteries rated at 1140 mA. The batteries are easy to remove and replace. The battery only fits into the quadcopter one way, so you don’t have to worry about putting it in the wrong way or damaging the connectors. The batteries take about 30 minutes to charge from 20 percent to 100, which is faster than many comparable drones.
- Pilot: Fly manually and control every aspect of flight. Traditional two stick RC control method, you can fly the quadcopter anywhere using the Breeze Cam application.
- Selfie: Yuneec recommended flight mode. Easily position the quadcopter without any flight experience. Use the altitude, distance, and position sliders to adjust the position of the quadcopter.
- Orbit: Drone will fly in a circle and capture the desired target from all angles
- Journey: Using the camera to calculate the trajectory of the quadcopter, Breeze will fly away from you and then back to you
- Follow Me: There are two follow me modes
- The first follows your phones GPS system to track you
- The second doesn’t use the GPS, rather it follows the user.
Other Cool Features and Accessories
- On the bottom of the drone, you can see two optical lenses
- Optically based altitude sensor, compared to most drones that use ultrasonic control. This gives the quadcopter an advantage while flying indoors, where there is no GPS signal.
- The propellers on the drone can stay connected at all times. They automatically lock into the correct position while the motors are firing.
- It comes with a complete set of extra propellers an, propeller guards for flying indoor, an extra 3s battery, a charger, and USB cable. The arms of the drone contain collapsible landing gear, which is nice when flying indoors or short distances.
- The drone automatically returns to home if the signal is lost
- Less expensive alternative to other popular drones
- Free floating camera makes for clearer photos/video
- Intelligent flight modes make controlling the drone easy
- Breeze App is intuitive
- Compact and light design makes traveling easy
- Breeze App makes sharing FPV photos and videos easy
- Flight time and control range make getting some shots difficult
- Does not support external SD card to increase memory storage
5. Mavic Air (Best of the Best)
6. WingsLand Selfie Quadcopter with 4K Camera
This is an another cool looking selfie drone that you can’t go wrong with.
If you are looking for a selfie drone with a 4k camera, this is probably the best choice for you. It has some more advanced features, including follow me and orbit modes.
With its industry-leading design, you can take it where ever you go, and share your amazing photos and videos with friends.
One more thing that is amazing is that this quadcopter is backed by a 100 percent money back guarantee.
- Advanced Flight Modes
- Less than 1 Pound
- 4k Camera
- Money Back Guarantee
7. E52 Foldable Selfie Drone
With this little cheap selfie drone by Eachine you get a lot for your money. It has folding arms that allow it to easily fit into your pocket or backpack.
It comes with an intuitive controller that can easily be synced up to your smartphone. It is even easy for the newest drone flyers being that it has automatic takeoff and landing.
It has a strong motor to compensate for winds and also allows for quick recovery. Check out the chart below to see how its specifications stake up against other quadcopters in this category.
- Automatic Takeoff and Landing
- 0.3MP Camera
- 8 to 10 Minute Flight Time
- 60-70 Minute Charging Time
- Steady Video
8. Kingtoys JJRC H37 Pocket Selfie Drone
This pocket selfie drone is another good choice. It comes with a 0.3 megapixel camera.
It can easily be controlled right from your smartphone. With cool features like altitude hold, 3 speed modes, and headless mode this is a great selfie quadcopter.
Headless mode is a great feature for beginners because it orients the drone to the direction the flyer is facing, rather than the direction the quadcopter is facing.
- Headless Modes
- 0.3 Megapixel Camera
- 3 Speed Modes
- Altitude Hold